Thursday, March 1, 2012

Suffering the consequences of failed Multiculturalism.

So an update.  We've moved to Logan Utah where I will attend USU to get a degree in History.  I also want to get a degree in either Religious Studies or Political Science, but I'm not sure yet. (Probably Poly-Sci because that's what Catherine wants me to do.)  I want to get into the honors program as well, but I have a small problem.  The requirement is a 3.3 GPA, but unfortunately, due to my big mouth and opinionated stubbornness, I am .02 GPA points shy of the requirements with a 3.28 GPA.  I still have a few generals to finish, so hopefully I can ace a few classes to boost my GPA and be able to enter the honors programs.  Here is a rough rundown of my transcript as USU sees it.  Not all of my classes have transferred over, but that's ok.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>



>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

So there you have it.  2 C's threw off the whole dang thing.  I know exactly why I got C's in those classes too.  The critical thinking one was kind of my fault.  Towards the end of the class, my work started picking up, and I wasn't able to keep up with both work and class, and actually ended up dropping out at the end of that semester.  I had been on track to get a solid A in that class.  So it was my own fault, I could have stayed up later, I could have tried harder.  Lesson learned.

HOWEVER; the Cultural Diversity class was entirely due to disagreements.  The teacher loved to preach "diversity" and how we need to take on "opposing viewpoints" and was a big speaker on "walking in another person's shoes to understand their struggle".  Unfortunately, he wasn't much for practicing what was being preached.  We were tasked with explaining a bit about ourselves, and as soon as I let on that I was LDS (mormon), it was as if the floodgates were opened for his misinformed propaganda and delusional theories regarding religion, mormonism, christianity, and Americans in general (he was from Pakistan or some such).  Not being one to allow someone with authority demean and lie about things I cared for, I naturally shot back, and refuted (successfully) just about everything the man said.  Most of the students were too worried or scared to get into it with the teacher, but being a largely Baptist adherent class, they were soon brought around to my thinking, and in turn began to question the teacher with their newfound confidence.  This didn't inspire much love between the teacher and I, and it showed in my subsequent work.

We were tasked with finding a piece of media that directly related to multiculturalism, and writing a paper concerning the thoughts inherent in the piece, and our own thoughts, while, of course, referring to outside sources and other peer-reviewed pieces to bolster our case.  Needless to say, I was not nice.  I will include a copy of the entire paper and media piece at a future time (if you want to read it now, shoot me an email: navarreval@gmail.com and I'll send it to you.  It's pretty good!)

So, in essence, you could say this second one was my fault as well, but in all reality, I followed the directions to a "T".  I took on the difficult position, the unpopular stand, as instructed the first day of class....and was subsequently punished for it.  The paper that I wrote was marked down 2 grades for going 200 words over the allowed word limit.  Whatever.  

Except purple people!!

Pictured: A detriment to society.

No comments:

Post a Comment